Escaping is often perceived as avoidance.
But I think it depends on the escape method, if it is harmful or not, the length of use, and if you only use it as a means to avoid something deeper within without ever addressing it.
Healthy Escape Methods I Engage In:
- Writing. Writing. Writing.
- You can escape into other lives. Other worlds. Into your imagination.
- If you travel smartly, you take home an entire world to expand your own.
- You can live the circumstances you may never otherwise have.
- Video games, creating art, coloring, playing with kids all liberate the adult brain and allow it to recharge.
Healthy Escape Methods My Main Characters Use:
- Supportive conversations with loved ones.
- Proper use of Balloon Day therapy.
- Playing piano.
- Spending time with family or friends.
Unhealthy Escape Methods My Main Characters Use:
- Avoidance of reality–denial, self-blame and self-criticism.
- Suppressing emotions with alcohol.
- Avoiding grief/emotions by escaping daily life responsibilities (improper use of Balloon Days).
So, if you also find yourself happily losing track of time while writing. . .
That is your healthy escape. Just remember to journey back to your life stuff too 🙂